Translate

Friday, November 2, 2012

Chapter 6 - Day 7:
Estepona to Tangier
(60 miles by land and sea)

A quien madruga, Dios le ayuda.
(God helps those who get up early)  
MY ROAD TO MOROCCO – Chapter 6: Day 7
Day 7 Estepona to Tangier
60 miles (by land and sea)
Spanish Sunrise 

photo by kind courtesy of juliabeverly.tumblr.com 
The first light of morning upon my face woke me from a deep slumber. It was almost 8am and Anton was already on his stomach, tent flap open, camera in hand, his whole body alert, poised to capture the perfect sunrise shot.

I also propped myself up on my elbows, watching, through sleepy eyes, for the sun to emerge on the horizon. Within a few moments, a perfect glowing sphere, orange in a deep red sky, emerged out of the Mediterranean Sea. 
  
My tent-mate furiously clicked the shutter on his camera, emptying an entire roll of film.  Elated by his success, Anton impulsively pulled me towards him, as if about to kiss me!

But, at that precise moment 
 the beach sweeper's motor  
RRRRRRRROARREEEDD 
to life,  heading straight towards us!

The unholy noise woke up the rest of our group, and we all hurried to take down our tents and get off that beach camp, pronto!  

Although it was barely 8am, we were all so eager to get to the port of Algeciras where would would board the ferry to Morocco, that we chose to skip breakfast. 

NOT a good idea! 

We arrived at Algeciras far too early, which aroused suspicion in the Spanish port officials who delayed for us hours while they inspected every inch of our "Love Bus".

They were probably looking for drugs, but may simply have been admiring the hippie wagon's art work! 

Whatever the reason for the frustrating delay, our bus was eventually released from official clutches just in time for it, and us, to board the noonday ferry to Tangier.

By then, our hunger pangs had turned a few of us (including me) into snarling beasts

Leaving the Iberian Peninsula 
We anticipated that our trip across the Strait of Gibraltar would mean a further two hours' wait before we could eat. And we were not at all 'happy campers' by this point!  

In the midst of much group moaning and groaning, Anton ushered me away from the others, telling me that he we had some unfinished business that required our attention. 

Curious, I followed as he led me towards the rear of the ferry.  There we watched the sunlit south face of the Rock of Gibraltar grow ever smaller as we sailed from Algeciras towards Tangier. 

And what a majestic sight it was!
The Rock of Gibraltar
photo by kind courtesy of: www.es.wikipedia.org

We watched in comfortable silence as our ferry put sea miles between the amazing Rock and us. And just before we left our secluded viewing spot, Anton kissed me for the second time, this time so ardently that my toes curled! 

So that's what he'd meant by 
"unfinished business" 

Our growling stomachs interrupted the romance of that moment, and we both laughed nervously, keenly aware of our immediate need for a full meal.  

Following the wonderful aroma of simmering spices, we found a dining room set with linen tablecloths, napkins and silverware.. The place was almost deserted so we enjoyed a quiet but tasty Mediterranean luncheon.
Quel Surprise!      
One simply does not expect to  
find haute cuisine on a ferry!

With the Rock of Gibraltar at our backs, the Mediterranean to the East and the wild Atlantic to the west, we were sailing towards Africa through what were historically known as being turbulent waters. 

Yet we experienced only calm waters and a steady crossing to Tangier, almost as if Morocco was bidding us "Welcome"! 

Eating on board, via credit card, had been an expensive, but impressively wise, decision since the rest of our starving group still had to wait for the ferry to dock before dining for the first time that day.

 Moroccan Dirhams
photo by kind courtesy of: http://www.worldcoins.biz 
Assuming banks would be open upon arrival in Tangier, caused yet another delay that day.  

Nobody had thought to purchase any Moroccan currency before leaving England - or Spain. So, everybody needed to visit a bank, to exchange our English pound notes for dirhams.  Till then we were 'penniless'.

Amazingly, we had all failed to realize that, in Tangier, (in 1972) everyone and everything, including the banks, shuts down every afternoon for a 4-hour siesta!

Several self-styled "entrepreneurs" had crowded around our vehicle as we'd driven off the ferry. But we'd ignored them and driven straight to the bank, where several more opportunistic outdoor vendors taunted us with tasty foods and Moroccan textiles.

With the banks closed, and no money to purchase even a snack, my fellow travellers were still hungry, whereas Anton and I had just feasted like kings. Feeling sorry for their plight, I devised a cunning plan to help alleviate their hunger pangs.

Leaving the Love Bus, my bodyguard at my elbow, I took my wrist-watch from my pocket and called over one of the dubious looking "vendors". Within minutes, I was haggling like a native and eventually, sold him my watch for a lot more than I had paid for it in the High Wycombe Market, three years earlier.

Delighted by my success, I motioned for the others to leave the bus and then gave them most of my dirhams, suggesting they buy lunch for themselves, from a nearby vendor.  It was heart-warming to watch them haggling for enough goat cheese, bread, watermelon and wine to sink a small army.  

Goat Cheese on slices of Baguette 
photo by kind courtesy of: www.dashandapinch.com

We already knew not to drink the local water at all, since regulated, safe, bottled water was still a generation away.

So, despite the early hour, everyone drank the wine, and some even washed it down with bread, cheese and fruit.

While our group was busily munching their impromptu lunch, or getting a head start on their latest hangover,  I took my few remaining dirams to the itinerant clothes merchant, eventually purchasing a blue and white, striped cotton djellaba for myself.

The djellaba is a traditional shift, similar to the caftan because of its long flowing style.  Made of cotton, it does not have a belt, comes with a hood and covers the body completely. 
Moroccan Djellaba  
photo by kind courtesy of http://www.berbertrading.com
 
Mine was similar to the one shown in this picture, except that was striped in pastel blue not brown, and was made of thin cotton that enveloped me from top to toe.

The djellaba is very easy to wear as it allows the slightest breeze to circulate beneath around your legs and torso, keeping one comfortably cool in desert heat. 

The sun seemed much hotter here, though I, too, was a bit light-headed from the wine.  Because of the daily siesta, we would have to wait several hours for the banks to re-open so that we could pay for our campsite that night and have spending money for the next day.  

Following lunch, our wine-weary drivers took a long nap in the bus, urging the rest of us to stretch our legs by exploring the hilly city. 

Tangier Medina 
photo by kind courtesy of nagual.yuku.com
Anton and I were more than ready to soak up 
a little of the history, culture and colour 
of this acclaimed Moroccan city.  

Situated on the North coast of Africa, Tangier is built on a steep hill that borders the narrow Strait of Gibraltar, gateway to the Mediterranean Sea to the North, and the Atlantic Ocean to the West.

Many civilizations and cultures have influenced this city for over 1500 years, from Berbers to the Phoenicians to modern day Europeans.

Because of its colourful history, artistic appeal and key political location, Tangier has also been inhabited and colonized by modern foreign and colonial powers, attracting diplomats, spies, writers and businesses. 

Here, Muslim, Christian and Jew peacefully co-exist, creating a flourishing, diversified industrial complex that specialized in textiles, metallurgical mechanical and ceramic products.

Tangier Football "Stadium" 
photo by kind courtesy of susanreep.com
While Anton took photos of some nearby buildings, I spied and joined a soccer game with some local children.  

Their version of the game involved running up and down the long flat steps that were carved into the hillside.

It was certainly a very odd way to play soccer, but very good exercise for the legs, since both teams jostled for the common goal post - at the very top of those steps!  

Cooperation within teams was managed by a series of lightning quick hand-signals and facial expressions. The boys ran rings around me!  Thus my pitiful attempts to follow the game succeeded only in providing everyone with a good laugh.

When siesta was over, we all returned to the Love Bus, and our drivers took us to the bank. By now, tired of the day's delays, we all wanted to set up camp and relax for the rest of the evening.

And an ocean-side campsite 
was just what we needed!  

Our campsite was run by a hippie English couple who had visited Morocco in the 60s and never left.  It was situated at the western edge of the continent, with only a line of sand-dunes separating it from the Atlantic Ocean.

Upon our arrival, our noses told us that whoever they were, they could certainly cook!

A slightly fruity, warm aroma of roasted vegetables welcomed us, and we were told that hot food would be ready for us by the time we'd finished putting up our tents.

The outdoor courtyard was simple but spacious, providing plenty of room for all of our tents and a long rustic banquet table at which we all gathered for our evening meal.   

Moroccan Couscous (press here for recipe)  
photo and recipe courtesy of http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/moroccan-couscous-chickpeas 

True to their word, this incredible pair then served us a hearty vegetarian meal of Moroccan couscous with roasted vegetables, all washed down with goat milk or wine.  It was the first time I'd ever tasted couscous!

Afterwards, as the Atlantic pounded the shore just beyond the dunes, we relaxed, sharing that afternoon's experiences with each other. 

Despite its delays and hunger pangs, today had been a good day!  I had seen the Rock of Gibraltar; sailed from one continent to another; sold my watch to feed my travel companions; haggled for a djellaba; and enjoyed my first taste of Moroccan cooking in Morocco.

And then there was Anton's unexpectedly passionate kiss, which had felt so wonderful at the time.  Yet, there was something about it that bothered me.  I just hadn't figured out what yet.  But I would, of that I had NO doubt.  And when I did, Anton and I would have a serious 'talk'.
 
I knew that broaching any personal issues with Anton would require finesse, timing and privacy. And a public campsite in Tangier just wasn't the right place for it! 

Convincing myself that there was no need to explore the ramifications of our kiss, or anything else, that evening, I focused only on enjoying my time in the company of others.

I rationalized that the right opportunity for a serious 'talk' with Anton would present itself, either tomorrow, or the next day.

Believing I had all the time in the world, I then deliberately, stupidly, chose to ignore that small, nagging voice of truth we call 'woman's intuition'. 

In the days and months that followed, I was to pay dearly for that mistake. If nothing else I should have remembered that:  "Life is what happens to us while we are busy making other plans."  

Fate was to about to throw me a curve, and would show no mercy till I had well and truly learned my lesson!

Tomorrow, we would arrive in 
the ancient Moroccan city of Fes! 

Coming Soon!  

.
.
.
.
Section 3 - Chapter 7 
From Tangier to Fes 
Camels, Cameras and Clocks in   
My Road to Morocco - Day 8 Tangier to Fes 

No comments: